December 13, 2009

How I Handle Solo Parenting


I just do.  That't the only way I can answer the question, "How do you do it,  with two little children and a full time job?"  I don't have live-in help, I don't have come-in help.  With the exception of my elderly father there is no family help.  HOWEVER, I have great friends and neighbors who care about my children, make me laugh and lend a hand.  That makes a difference.  On the really bad days, it makes a difference between sheer despair and the determination to go on. 

There's no denying that I brought these children into the world by my own free will and with the grace of God.  It's my responsiblitiy to make their childhoods happy, healthy and safe.  Everyday, whether I want to get out of bed or not, I must meet the day and spend it caring for these two boys in a way that prepares them for meeting their own life challenges.   With the help of my friends (old and new) and a good cup of coffee, I pray that I will not disappoint my sons.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, man. I had a bear of a day today. Chad left around 7:45 to go downtown to the Bears game with a friend. I was looking forward to spending the day with Jordy but he went to bed later than usual last night which means he woke up earlier than usual this morning and doing anything with him was just a struggle. That drives me crazy. Sometimes I think we're crazy for having another one but like you say, you just do what you have to do. Somehow you get through it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somedays I think I am crazy to be having another but then I remember that every day eventually ends and the next day a new day begins.

    ReplyDelete