September 26, 2010

Another First

Today, for the first time, Henry went to Sunday School class.  It was the real thing.  A room on the lower level for preschoolers to sing songs, glue construction paper and wear name tags.  This was a big deal for me.  Henry cannot sit still in church but he's too big to go to the nursery.  This preK class was the place for  him.  BUT he's never been in a classroom setting without me.  He's great with other kids (and adults) but still...this was a church.  And we operate under Murphy's Law around here.  Can you imagine what I was imagining as I lay awake last night thinking about this new venture?  I'm happy (actually beaming with pride) to report that all went well. 

Afterwards I told as many people as I could that it was his first Sunday School class and how proud I was of him.  They just smiled politely and moved on to the coffee and cookie line.  I guess this is not such a huge milestone for most families. But as a single mom by choice, I don't take simple things, like finding a welcoming church, for granted.

I was so excited, I took a picture of Henry standing outside his classroom.  This is where it would go if I could upload it from my cell phone.  I really hope I figure this new one out before he goes to kindergarten.

8 comments:

  1. New ventures are always a toss up. Glad to hear he enjoyed it and there was smoothe sailing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!! I look forward to that day with my girl, too.
    And I completely hear you on the fact that choice moms seem to appreciate the smaller things more than most...so true. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its moments that like these that we need to cherish. Your little man is growing up x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah Henry! I love how much pride come through with this post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a moment to share! Good for you! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's awesome! Way to go, Henry, and MOM!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know exactly what you mean!!! That is awesome! I'm so glad he did well. That helps take some of the worry away. :)

    Mia's comfort objects are her Meow (stuffed cat) and Monkey (stuffed monkey)... yes, we have genius names. :) lol. She's had them so long, I figured it'd be a good way to teach her what they were/did instead of giving some random name.

    I ramble. lol

    SMBC's unite. :)
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete