February 6, 2010

Quick Comfort Food

Most of the time when I experiment in the kitchen, the results are nothing to write home about.  That's why this is my very first posting of a recipe.  I won't take full creative credit since it is made from several convenience ingredients.

I celebrate anytime I discover something delicious that can be thrown together quickly, right after work while the boys plead for attention, the dogs whine for food or exercise and the voice/e-mails continue to stream in.

This recipe can be prepared the night before and then placed in the oven the following evening.  It takes very little effort which is a good thing.  After bathing toddlers, brushing tiny teeth, reading train tales and tucking in twenty toes, I don't have a lot of energy left.

main ingredients:
2 boxes Annie's (organic) White Cheddar Macaroni
1 pouch of tuna packed in water (6.4 oz)

toppings:
diced fresh tomato
french fried onions (from a can), or
crushed SunChips

Prepare the macaroni &  cheese as directed on the box. Mix in tuna.  Place in glass baking dish.  (I used 8x8 square)  Cover and refrigerate overnight.  When you are ready to eat, simply add toppings and bake at 375F for 25 minutes or until heated through.   I served this with a green salad (from a bag, of course) and the meal was a success*

*Success:  Henry picks out every bit of tomato and tuna ("I don't like this, I don't like th-i-s!") but accidently ingests pasta shells with his salad thereby sustaining him until next graham cracker/milk snack.  Liam uses chubby starfish hands in attempt to feed self.  Three pasta shells and tiny shred of tuna reach his mouth.  Tomatoes rest behind left ear and cheese adds much needed volume to his wispy hair.

1 comment:

  1. Fun! I love those kind of recipes...unfortunately Chad doesn't like tuna and I can't eat being preggers...but I can imagine!

    ReplyDelete