December 6, 2010


Doesn't this look cute?  Doesn't it look doable even for a working mom of two?  Wouldn't it be fun to display and talk about during the month of December?  Here's the link to Family Fun magazine that will guide you through step-by-step directions.  But first, let me warn you--you need lots of paper. Expensive, only-on -sale-when-you-don't-need-it, scrapbooking paper.  You'll also need a steady hand and lots of patience.  I know it looks simple and it is,  but remember, you have to make 24 of these conifers.  Or as Henry called them,  party hats.  Still if you are crafty, have at it.  Liam certainly did.  He crushed half the cones and threw the rest on the floor.
I decided to try a another advent project from the same site.  Their sample was adorable; so one evening after the boys were in bed, I set to constructing this candy calendar.  I made a few minor changes to the easy-to-follow directions.  I laid 48 treats on the tape and used a thin paper bag for the top layer. 


Instead of numbering each section, I created a simple pattern for Henry to notice.  Crayola glitter glue pens worked wonderfully to add sparkly decorations to the front of the calendar.  It was getting close to 10 pm by the time I was finishing the details;  I don't think I would have done well with anything more complicated than those colorful squeeze tubes.

Henry loves the calendar.  He is very good about cutting just one section each day.  (His brother, on the other hand, is not so easily restrained.)  Henry can lift the strip from the wall and see what tomorrow's candy will be.  When we reach the top it will be time for Santa's visit!



6 comments:

  1. cool. I've been looking for advent calendar ideas, and obviously I'm way behind on this. All my crafty married friends have fancy homemade advent calendars or stockings for every day or something insanely creative. Me? I'm still not even adjusted to the fact that it's December yet. Cones similar to these might be the trick for me... only I'll use construction paper and just write the number on them... and store them out of reach. NEXT year I'll get crafty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great ideas! I never thought of homemade advent calendars!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im still looking for a little cabinet thing with doors that i saw on some website a week ago. i don't think i'm actually doing anything advent-y this year. next year i HAVE to plan ahead. I really like the paper trees. Oh, I mean, party hats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked your cones better than the sample above! I do not have the patience to do this crafty work, but I commend you for your effort. it looks adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your candy advent idea. I may have to use something similar next year. Cory knows Christmas is coming but he isn't really questioning when at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE the Advent calendar, I will have to file this away for next year when B understands a little bit more!

    ReplyDelete