August 9, 2011

August Means State Fair

...and it always will.  Unless I move to a very warm place like Arizona or Florida--but then how can you get excited about a state fair in March or November? 

The boys enjoyed seeing the sights and eating the treats that can only be found on fairgrounds.  Henry has looked forward to cotton candy for months, so it was the first thing we bought when we arrived.  He also ate fresh cream puffs and a foot long corn dog.  (Ok, I helped him finish both of the those.)
Liam enjoyed the fair as well.  Unbeknownst to all of us, he was about to come down with the grand-daddy of all summer colds the very next day.  Henry had it too--neither of them slept well for several nights.  Liam's cold came with the added bonus of viral conjunctivitis.

Always willing to pose for photographers

The fair had barn after barn of livestock.  Beautiful animals close enough to touch (although that's discouraged).  But what did Henry want to do?  He completed this diagram by placing the names of each goat part next to the correct arrow.  I had to drag him away from it.  This boy is ready for middle school!

Speaking of middle school--I have eight days left at home with the boys.   There are times when I think I am ready to go back to work and times when I dread the separation.  In all honesty, it's been difficult keeping up with the relentless demands of being a SAHM.  Henry's behavior was challenging in June and now with August upon us, he seems to be struggling again.  I know I am.  A stronger routine will help all of us but I will miss my boys.  What a difficult transition to go from being together all day,  every day to seeing each other only two hours in the evenings.

I plan on another beach day before summer is over.  Tomorrow we'll go to the splash park and eat at Burger King.  Henry has been talking about that for days.  "Remember, Mom, don't bring any food to the park.  We're going to Burger King."  Well, it's not fresh corn roasted by the Lions' Club or chocolate covered bacon but it will have to do.  At least until next August.
What's for dinner?  Fried Butter and Krispy Kreme Cheeseburgers!


Seven cream puffs.  Number eight was asleep in his stroller.


3 comments:

  1. Ahhh Lara!! How beautiful!! And I have to laugh at your comment about a state fair in November or March as a friend of mine here in Houston just posted on facebook how excited she is that one of our state fairs is almost upon us!! September 22-October 2. Certainly not November, but still probably 'late' to you. But there is no way on this green earth that I would be going to a state fair or any other kind of fair in Houston anytime between mid-May and late September, so September 22 is really pushing it!! It can undoubtedly still be in the 90s here!! But I know Tate won't care, so we'll be going for the first time in my life!!!

    Enjoy your last days of summer!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hearing about your trips to the fair! I'm sorry the kids got sick, but glad they waited until after the cream puffs and corn dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chocolate covered bacon!?!? That's something I have to try!

    Glad you had a great day before the colds hit!

    ReplyDelete