March 22, 2013

School's Out (but only for 10 days)

 
Measuring distance at mealtime.  Can you say "teacher's kid"?
 
I can't remember needing a spring break as much as I have needed this one.  March is the most stressful month of the school year.  It's the month of high-stakes testing and reassignment lists.  That's on top of juggling my five subject classroom, fifteen special needs students, their paperwork, their parents and multiple discipline infractions.  Which is all on top of parenting two young boys who have their own classroom needs.  As in, Henry needs a lunch/Liam needs a show and tell item that starts with a vowel/Henry has gym tomorrow/Liam needs to bring a peanut-free snack and a dozen plastic eggs/Henry wore someone else's boots home/the book fair is tomorrow. 
 
Not to mention, at 5 pm every day,  both boys need to have mommy sit, play, cuddle, read, bathe, feed, launder, shop and chauffeur for them. 

Life as a single, full-time working mom has always been a lot.  And I can handle a lot--it's just the testing and reassignment procedure that puts me close to the edge.  This week I came dangerously close to telling several coworkers exactly what I thought of them.  Right there.  Right then.  Thankfully, I didn't and now I have ten glorious days during which to distance myself.  Nothing will be resolved when I return to work.  All the deficits, disinterest and disappointment will greet me at the schoolhouse door.  My hope is that I'll return rested and revived enough to ignore the slings and arrows, at least for two months so I can give my students a good 4th quarter.  Yes, they know how to push my buttons but deep down they are good kids.  Sadly, this year it seems most don't have many adults in their corner.

For ten days I won't think about my job.  I'll take a cue from these guys:


stay home a little
do some maintenance and repairs
and go on an adventure

or two...

 





6 comments:

  1. Hooray! Have a wonderful and restful break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really enjoy your 10 days. You deserve it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you have a great and well deserved break with your two sweet guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your break! It sounds like you all need it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you. My year couldn't be any worse. Any time away is golden for me. Enjoy every second with your little men.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am late, but hope you had a great school break!

    ReplyDelete